Hesperia Community Schools Technolgy Department's mission is to:
- ensure that every student has an opportunity to learn the technology skills that will enhance learning in today’s educational environment, and will foster success in higher education and on into the work force;
- ensure that staff and administrators have continual opportunities to improve their professional skills and integration of technology to enhance instructional practices, communication, and productivity.
Technology extends human capabilities through the systematic applications of knowledge, materials, tools, and skills. Technology literacy is the ability to responsibly use appropriate technology to communicate, solve problems, and access, manage, integrate, evaluate, and create information to improve learning in all subject areas and to acquire lifelong knowledge and skills in the 21st century. Technology education is also the study of how technology impacts, both positively and negatively, individuals, society and civilization itself.
Learning with and about technology prepares learners to live responsibly in a democratic, technically driven society. Learners will use technology for knowledge and skill acquisition, communication and information management, problem solving, creative expression, research, design, and product development. Learners become technologically capable when they apply technology across curricular areas and when technology is used throughout the learning process.
A technologically literate learner:
- explores, evaluates, and uses technology to accomplish, independently and cooperatively, real world tasks;
- develops knowledge, ability, and responsibility in the use of resources, processes, and systems of technology;
- acquires, organizes, analyzes, and presents information;
- expands the range and effectiveness of communication skills;
- solves problems, accomplishes tasks, and expresses individual creativity;
- and applies legal and ethical standards.
About the Department
The Hesperia Schools Technology Department consists of one full time Technology Coordinator and a part time Support Technician. We support and maintain approximately seven hundred computers, seven computer labs and mobile devices in individual classrooms. Hesperia School District is connected via fiber to a countywide WAN run by the Newaygo County RESA. 100% of the computers are connected to the internet. We also maintain the district telephone and voicemail systems as well.